Yoga Spirituality - The Spiritual Benefits of Yoga
In its most basic terms, yoga translates to “union.” This union represents the transformational dynamic between the mind, body and soul. Yet it’s not considered a religion, rather, a spiritually uplifting practice of moving meditation. Either way, yoga is a powerful connector—bringing us closer to ourselves, each other and the divine outer force we often call “The Universe.” In this post, we’ll discuss yoga spirituality and uncover some of the many spiritual benefits of yoga.
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga
One way to better understand yoga spirituality is to read Deepak Chopra and David Simon’s well-known book: The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga. This book integrates Vedic teachings with modern interpretations, illuminating ancient yogic wisdom in a way that applies just as profoundly today as it did 5,000 years ago.
Studying up on The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga will help you find alignment—not only in body, but in the enlightened state that binds you with the universe.
As interpreted by Chopra and Simon, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga are:
- Law of Pure Potentiality: Since you are an unshakeable part of what exists in the physical world, you are also infinitely creative, limitless and eternal.
- Law of Giving and Receiving: You must give and receive to experience love, abundance, and anything positive you wish to reverberate through your existence.
- Law of Karma (Cause and Effect): Every action generates a returning reaction. If you choose positive actions that bring forth happiness and success, you will, in turn, receive such energy. If you choose negative actions that bring forth pain or suffering, they will boomerang back to you.
- Law of Least Effort: By harnessing your energy and offering no resistance, you allow your actions to be motivated by love, tapping into the infinite power of the universe as you do less, yet accomplish more.
- Law of Intention and Desire: When you quiet the mind and introduce your intentions through pure potentiality, you galvanize the universe into action, allowing your desires to manifest with ease.
- Law of Detachment: Everything, at this moment, is happening as it should be. There is no need to resist or force. Simply intend for everything to unfold as it should, take the action that’s necessary, and allow the results to happen.
- Law of Dharma: By expressing your unique gifts to serve others, you will experience unlimited love, abundance, and true fulfillment in your life.
The Spiritual Benefits of Yoga
Living by these laws is a wonderful way to summon the many spiritual benefits of yoga, some of which include:
Awakening to a higher consciousness is a spiritual experience in and of itself. Through yoga, the soul unifies with the body and the mind. This catalyzes a spiritual awakening—a deep recognition of the fact that we are never alone, and we always have further to rise.
One you align with your inner consciousness, a profound sense of mental clarity unfolds. Have you ever waited to make an important decision until after you’ve practiced or meditated? This is because your most enlightened self will be present, and your mind will be clear.
Yoga facilitates the delicate dance between action and detachment. It calls upon us to let go, so we can let in. Oftentimes, through yoga and meditation, we notice the intentions we set in silence find us when we least expect them—a true testament to handing things off to the universe and exhaling.
An Attitude of Gratitude
Every time we bow forward with our hands at heart center, we give thanks. Yoga teaches us to appreciate what is unfolding right now. A lesson in gratitude, each practice compels us to be content and thankful. This can only serve to bring forth abundance and love.
The unification of the mind, body and soul with the universe brings forth an unparalleled sense of inner peace. The kind of peace that comes from within can never be destroyed by outside forces. Yoga is an anchor that holds us in a steady state of tranquility and calmness.
You Can Be Spiritual and Stylish!
Why not wear your divine intentions? We have a stylish line of spiritual attire that highlights many of the concepts illuminated today. The Inspired by Stephanie Rose Collection has got your body covered, so you can stay focused on the mind and soul.